Municipal elections are held every four years where residents elect seven Councillors to a four year term. In the M.D. of Wainwright, Council members are elected by division. The Reeve is then appointed by council. Below is a list of each division with links to maps of the area.
October 18, 2021 is the next Municipal Election
- January 1, 2021 to September 20, 2021 – Nomination Period
- September 20, 2021 12 noon – Nomination Day
- October 18, 2021 – Election Day
The unofficial nomination list for each division is:
Below is information prospective candidates should know about municipal elections including campaign financing, rules regarding signage, and forms you will need to complete.
The following are the forms you will need for your nomination package
- 2021 Election Candidate Package
- 2021 Nomination Instructions
- Form 4 – Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance
- Form 5 – Candidate Financial Information
- Form 11 – Official Agent
- Form 26 – Campaign Disclosure Statement & Financial Statement
- To download Form 26, please right click on the link and select “Save Link As”. The form is locked and cannot be viewed in a web browser.
- Campaign Finance and Contribution Disclosure Information Bulletin from Municipal Affairs.
- Councillor Pecuniary Interest Information and Bulletin from Municipal Affairs
- What Every Councillor Needs to Know Information Bulletin from Municipal Affairs
- Local Authorities Election Act
- Voting hours on Election Day are between 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Advance Votes for the 2021 election may be scheduled and advertised as required under the Local Authorities Election Act.
To be eligible to vote, an elector must be:
- 18 years old;
- A Canadian Citizen;
- A resident in Alberta; and
- The elector’s place of residence must be located in the local jurisdiction on election day (Section 47 of the Local Authorities Election Act)