The most current M.D. ownership map is available in jpeg format by right clicking and selecting "Save Link As" on the map below.

2017 June Map

Rural Addressing in the M.D. of Wainwright


Rural addressing is a standardized system of identifying and locating rural properties. The M.D. of Wainwright will be assigning addresses adhering to the standards set by Alberta Municipal Affairs, which are widely used by rural municipalities throughout Alberta.

The M.D. of Wainwright Council approved moving forward with rural addressing as part of its 2016 Budget. The system will aid Emergency Medical Services, Fire, Police, utility companies, couriers and other visitors in finding your residence or business quicker.  The M.D. awarded the contract to Kalitec in June and they are currently producing the signs.  Their contractor will start marking locations for installation on Monday Aug 15, 2016 and all signs should be completed by October 31, 2016.  If you have any questions please see the FAQ at the bottom of this page.  If your question is not answered there please contact the Administration office at 780-842-4454 and we will do our best to answer your questions.


Reading rural addresses





Sign Placement

There are standards for the way rural addressing signs are to be placed in the M.D. This is being done to ensure emergency services can easily find the main entrance to your property from the roadway when they are called.

The signs can only be installed by M.D. of Wainwright Public Works Staff, or contractors conducting this work on behalf of the M.D. Each rural property will receive signage that will be placed according to Bylaw No. 1587, Schedule A – Sign Placement.


How does it work?

Rural addresses are based on the location of the primary access to a residence or business along a road allowance. 

Each mile of road is divided into intervals of 40 metres, with numbers increasing from South to north and East to West. Even number addresses are placed along the North and West sides of a road allowance and odd number addresses are placed along the South and East side of a road allowance.

Reference the road to the east if the Primary Access is off a Township Road or to the south if the Primary Access is off a Range Road. For the purposes of addressing, virtual township roads exist between all sections, whether an actual road allowance exists or not. 


Example #1:  643008 RGE RD 213 – The access is along the West side of RGE RD 213. It is located in address interval 8. 643 is the intersecting TWP RD number to the South.

Example #2:  213033 TWP RD 644 – When there are multiple accesses, the primary access is used. In this case, the access is along the South side of TWP RD 644. 213 is the intersecting RGE RD to the East, and 33 is the interval the primary access is in.

Example #3:  643032 RGE RD 213 – When there are multiple accesses along the same side of a road allowance, the primary access, interval 32, is determined.

Example #4:  643072 RGE RD 213 – When there is one access along a TWP RD, one access along a RGE RD, and no clear primary access, the access along the RGE RD is typically chosen.

Example #5:  643009A & 643009B RGE RD 214 – When there are multiple residences located off the same primary access, the first building off the access is designated “A”, the second building is designated “B”, and so forth.

Example #6:  643047(5, 12, 16 & 21) RGE RD 214 – Subdivision addresses are also based on the location of the primary access on a road allowance. Each parcel within a subdivision will be assigned a unique number. The lots are numbered clockwise using an increment of 4, with odd numbers along the East and South, and even along the West and North. The lot number is to be used along with the six-digit rural address for your full address.


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a Rural Address? Where a rural address has not previously been assigned or where an approach application is approved for a new approach or multi-lot subdivision, the address will be determined and assigned when a development permit is issued or when a subdivision is approved.

What are the benefits of using Rural Addresses over a Legal Land Location? A legal land location will identify where a property is located on a specific quarter section whereas a Rural Address will pinpoint the access to the property off of a road allowance.

Is the Rural Address the same as a Mailing Address? No, they are two different addresses. Your current Canada Post mailing address will not change, so please continue using your existing mailing address to send and receive parcels and letters.

Who assigns Rural Addresses and who will have access to my address? Rural Addressing information is assigned and maintained by the M.D. of Wainwright. Rural Addresses are shared with TELUS Communications to link to TELUS 911, 911 Dispatch and Emergency Responders.

What do I do with my new Rural Address once I get it? You don’t need to do anything with your new rural address, other than memorize it! Your new Rural Address is primarily for emergency response. If you ever need to call 911, you can give the 911 dispatcher this address. We recommend posting your Rural Address near every phone in your house. Also be sure to educate your children as to what your Rural Address is, what it is for, and how it should be used in the event of an emergency.

Is it mandatory? Yes, all developed rural properties with an inhabited residence or business will require a Rural Address and proper signage.

I live in a village or hamlet.  Do I get an address also? Yes.  Each house in Fabyan, Jarrow and Ribstone has a house number just like the Town of Wainwright, Irma and Chauvin.  Each street will have a road name like 1st Avenue, 2nd Street.


The Municipal District of Wainwright has implemented a TAX AUTOPAY program allowing us to direct debit a monthly payment from your banking institution towards your current year tax levy.

To be eligible, your 2017 tax levy must be paid in full and you must complete a PRE-AUTHORIZED DEBIT FORM (forms available at our office or for download here). For further information, please call or come in to see us at:

Municipal District of Wainwright No. 61
717 - 14th Avenue
Wainwright, Alberta  T9W 1B3

Phone: 780-842-4454
Fax: 780-842-2463

Download Pre-Authorized Debit Form as a PDF file

Other forms

Assessment Review Board Complaint Form
Assessment Complaints Agent Authorization

The M.D. of Wainwright is situated in the heart of the agriculture and oil industries and is a major partner with one of Canada’s largest military training bases. This makes the M.D. of Wainwright an area of diverse wealth both socially and economically and allows us to provide our residents with many services and the benefit of low taxes.

In addition, the M.D. of Wainwright offers various historical and recreational attractions for residents and visitors.

The M.D. of Wainwright is a progressive community that is a great place to live, work and raise a family. We are glad to welcome you.

Property Taxes Due November 30th, 2017

Just a reminder that taxes for the M.D. of Wainwright are due on or before November 30th, 2017.;  Taxes can be paid at the M.D. of Wainwright Administration office at 717 14 Avenue Wainwright by Cheque, debit card, money order or cash.  Payments can also be made through most finacial institutions or online banking.  For mailed payments the postmark will determine the date of payment for anything that is mailed.  After taxes have been paid for 2017 you can setup a pre-authorized debit to make equal monthly payments.  The Tax Auto-Pay forms are available at the administration office or you can download a form from here.

Penalties: All taxes remaining unpaid after the due date of November 30th, 2017 will have a penalty of 12% imposed the day after the due date. 

Beavers in Our Landscape

 Beavers in Our Landscape

 A workshop on understanding and living with beavers.

Please join us to share your knowledge and experiences, developed for Alberta natural resource managers, municipalities, landowners and others!

Attend this free workshop: Wednesday November 8th at Red Feather Ridge: Twp 494, 1.5 miles east of RR 80.

9:00 am: Registration and coffee

9:30 am to 3:30 pm: Workshop (includes lunch)

Click the poster to the left for more details.

Organizational Meeting

We are please to announce that Bob Barss remains Reeve and Ted Wilkinson remains Deputy Reeve at the Organizational Meeting held on October 23, 2017.  A list of all appointments to committees will be posted soon.

2018 Calendars are in

The 2018 M.D. of Wainwright Photo Contest calendars are in.  Ratepayers can get a copy at the administration office.  Thank you to everyone who submitted photos this year, and congratulations to the winners.

January: Chuck Hutchinson “Waiting out the Storm”
February: Sheila Naugle “Crisp Morning”
March: Colette Thurston “There’s Two of Us”
April: Elizabeth Goddard “Spring Anticipation”
May: Sherry Christensen “Plant ‘17”
June: Damon Zajic “Summer Skies”
July: Heather Dubreuil “Hey Brother, What you Looking at?”
August: Margaret Hiller “Sunflowers”
September: Sheri White “Electric”
October: Damon Zajic “Race to the Rain”
November: Doug Kimball “Looking for a Girlfriend”
December: Sheri White “Silent Sentinel”
Front and Back Cover: Sherry Christensen “Last Stop”
Back Page: Judy Nemyo “Mother Nature is still Boss”

 Join Us On Facebook

Road Closure Update



It is recommended that all landowners ensure that any farm, industrial, recreational equipment or vehicles entering your land is clean of all dirt and/or field residue.

Clubroot of Canola is transferred by soil and it is


To ensure foreign soil is not transferred onto your land.

Also be reminded that if you are purchasing equipment/machinery, using custom operators, have industrial traffic or allow recreational vehicles on your land it is


 To ensure the equipment is clean and free of dirt/field residue prior to it entering your land.


For more information:

Contact the M.D. of Wainwright

Office at 780-842-4454

Road Closure Update

TWP464 1

The M.D. of Wainwright has re-opened the 4 miles West of highway 897 on Twp Rd. 454. 

The 1 mile of construction road on TWP 464 between RR 55 and 60 is still closed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Information about Alberta's Agricultural Service Boards

The Agricultural Service Board Grant Program promotes long-term sustainability of agriculture industry and rural communities and the development and delivery of environmental extension programming. ASBs are responsible for implementing and enforcing legislative requirements under the Agricultural Service Board Act, the Weed Control Act (WCA), the Agricultural Pests Act (APA), the Soil Conservation Act (SCA) and assist with the control of animal disease under the Animal Health Act (AHA). Full document can be download here.